The 5Kx3 Challenge Week 3: Titan Trot

Introduction Article

Week 1: Seminary Scurry

Week 2: Run for the Buds

This week marked the final run in my challenge, and it was a great one. The weather was finally perfect: 60 degrees and partly cloudy with minimal wind. It was a huge contrast to the previous two weekends, which were full of rain, clouds, and that blasted wind! I was so glad to see it gone this time.

"Put the Gun Down" by ZZ Ward

Since the weather was great, I could wear shorts and a t-shirt and be comfortable. It was my last time wearing the shoes I bought three years ago; Brooks Addiction 11. I just purchased Addiction 12 and I'm ready to break them in!

I had suspected for a while that my knee pain was because I'd worn down my shoes and they weren't giving me the proper comfort. But it might have just been because I'd been overtraining. I only was running four times a week, but it was too much.

"Electric Avenue" by Eddy Grant

This week, however, I took it down quite a bit. I ran only two miles on Monday - mostly because I had to play organ that evening and needed time to get ready. I ran again on Wednesday, but it was pretty light because I was joining the school's running group for their final run of the season (which happened to end at the local Dairy Queen). Even though they had all beaten me handily the Saturday before, they weren't competing this time, and a couple of them were more walking instead of running. We went almost four miles but since I was corralling the kids at the end I had to walk when they walked.

On Thursday I decided to hike instead of walk. I got my exercise, but I didn't exert myself. On Friday I spent a lot of time on my feet, but I tried to keep off them in the evening.

"The Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats

I made it to the high school where the Titan Trot was being held, and once again I was pretty early. I picked up my stuff and dropped it off in the car. They didn't have a baggie - they just had the bib (no chip timing) and a t-shirt. I liked that, because most of the stuff I get in baggies I just toss anyway.

They had a kids' race at 9am which circulated the grounds. I think there were only nine or ten kids that did the race. The majority of the runners showed up after the kids' race, but even then I'd guess that there were only about fifty of us. I knew a few families from school that were running and walking together.

"Gangnam Style" by Psy

I decided to start a different run-walk pattern this week in order to speed my time up. Instead of doing 1-minute run, 1-minute walk, I would do a 2-minute run, 1-minute walk, which is what I had done in the Disneyland races and the Bolder-Boulder. I hadn't done any recent training in the 2-and-1, but I knew I could do it.

I didn't have any trouble starting slowly this time because there were so few runners. Between the lack of runners, the lovely weather, and the very easy course (barely any hills), I was doing great!

"Raise Your Glass" by P!nk

We ran around the high school and entered a housing development area. We were on the road for this, but the road wasn't closed so a few cars passed us as we ran. I am not a fan of cars on the road during a race. Either close a lane or close the whole road, please, especially with kids doing the race, too.

We crossed a small trail that took us to another, more well-established subdivision. We ran out, did a loop, and returned to the trail. Only one fork in the road was not marked, but luckily I was running near the principal of the high school and he knew the correct route.

"Ghostbusters" by Ray Parker Jr.

Suddenly we were crossing the trail again and were ending the race! I could hardly believe it. After two races that ended with rough climbs, this one was nothing at all.

I ended up finishing in 35:35, almost two minutes faster than my times in the previous two races. I was very pumped to finish strongly.

"Clark Gable" by The Postal Service

But there wasn't a whole lot at the finish line, unfortunately. A couple of high school kids were marking the times for people crossing the finish line, but there wasn't any cheering or encouraging. Everyone crossed the finish line in relative silence. There was a table of water, but there were only a few runners milling around. Most finished and then immediately took off.

I made sure to get a hot dog and chips from inside the building at the finish line and talk to the families from my school before I returned to my car and took off. I found it hard to believe that my first 5K of the trifecta would be the largest, but it was!

"Immigrant Song" by Led Zepplin

I was pleased with the progress I made in my 5K challenge. It wasn't very fun training so hard during the weeks, but I enjoyed the three races in which I competed. Plus I ended up with a PR in my final race!

When is my next race? Well, just wait a few weeks to find out...


Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Naruto for the Curious

Dear MLC,

Worship Conference: An Epiphany for the Musician